Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Stars My Destination


Space Opera's have never really been my thing. I think it's similar to the problem I have with Tolkien, I just don't enjoy the level of world-building that is described in comparison to the plot and characters that are narrated. So, for the first time this semester, I didn't finish one of the novels. I got just past Foyle breaking into the Presteign space-docks and I just severely lost interest. I was already sort of starting on novels for later weeks and I couldn't bring myself to read The Stars My Destination in lieu of the other books which I enjoyed more. Not particularly professional, or really even very academic of me, but nonetheless that is the decision I made.

As far as what I gathered from the chapters I did read you can tell I didn't particularly enjoy it. Foyle is, as was stated to me prior to my attempt at reading, a thoroughly unlikable human being. His speech pattern grated my nerves and he was just a general creep, though I did sort of pity him for his tattoo's courtesy of the scientific people and the fact that Vorga passed him by. Those occurrences combined with what little of his life prior to the wreck of the Nomad was described justified his rash actions in my mind, specifically his unmonitored jaunting and break in at the aforementioned space-docks.

All in all the novel just couldn't grab my attention. I feel bad about it because I am very much for reading a wide range of writing, but I just wasn't in the right mindset for a Space Opera, and perhaps I never will be. It's just not particularly my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment